Admission Procedures and Scholarships
Year 6 and 7 entry
The assessment morning for Year 6 and 7 entry in September 2024, will be held on Wednesday 17th January 2024. Prospective pupils will sit English, Mathematics, SPAG and Non-Verbal Reasoning papers. A taster day, which is spent in class, will follow prior to a place being confirmed.
The deadline to apply for a Year 6 or 7 place is Friday 1st December 2023.
Please contact Mrs Julie Bradley, Admissions Secretary, on 01279 429910 ext 1, or by emailing email@example.com if you would like to discuss your child’s entry to our middle school.
Pupils entering Year 7 in September 2024 are invited to apply for a Scholarship. Scholarships reward academic excellence and talent and are awarded at the discretion of the Headmaster. Scholarships are typically for up to 25% fee remission and are normally tenable for the whole of a pupil’s time at the school, subject to excellent progress. All scholarship offers are subject to the specific criteria below as well as excellent overall academic ability. Successful candidates will be expected to remain at Saint Nicholas until the conclusion of their GCSE studies.
Pupils applying for a scholarship must be able to provide or be achieving to the following level:
- Academic: all candidates are automatically entered for the Academic Scholarship.
- Art: to qualify for an Art Scholarship, pupils are expected to present a portfolio showing their artistic work in at least four different media.
- Music: to qualify for a Music Scholarship, pupils are expected to have reached a minimum standard of Grade 4 on their main instrument and at least Grade 2 on a second instrument (voice qualifies as an instrument) and demonstrate a natural flair in two audition pieces to the Director of Music and Headmaster.
- Drama: to qualify for a Drama Scholarship, pupils are expected to have reached a minimum standard of LAMDA Grade 3 or similar and demonstrate a natural flair in two audition pieces to the Teachers of Drama and Headmaster.
- Sport: to qualify for a Sport Scholarship, a pupil would be expected to have attended county trials in his or her major sport or to be able to show evidence of a high level of achievement in a county or national competition. Pupils would also be expected to show evidence of having regularly been involved in two different sports at a competitive level. They would also need to attend the Scholarship Performance Morning so their ability can be assessed by the Head of PE and Headmaster.
Pupils entering Year 7 in September 2024 are invited to apply for the Community Award.
The Community Award, worth up to 100% of the fees following means-testing, is available to a pupil with outstanding overall academic ability. Priority is given to local applicants who require either full or substantial funding in order to take up the offer of a place. Offers are subject to the results of the school’s academic assessments, a taster day, which is spent in class, a reference from the pupil’s current school and interview. In assessing, a child’s suitability potential will also be considered as well as actual achievement. Children judged most likely to gain most from the educational provision will be given priority. Each pupil to whom support is offered must, in the opinion of the Headmaster, be likely to make excellent academic progress following admission.
Please contact Julie Bradley for a Community Award applciation form. The deadline to appply is Monday 6th November.
Entry to other years
Where there are spaces, prospective pupils are invited to apply and will sit English, Mathematics and SPAG assessments. A taster day, which is spent in class, will follow a successful assessment session and a reference will be requested from the current school.
Please contact Mrs Julie Bradley, Admissions Secretary, on 01279 429910 ext 1, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to discuss the admission process for your child.
Please contact Mrs Julie Bradley, Admissions Secretary, on 01279 429910 ext 1, or by emailing email@example.com if you have any queries regarding Scholarships or the Community Award.