Saint Nicholas School was established in 1939 in a group of buildings set in the heart of the attractive hamlet of Churchgate Street, near Old Harlow. The school quickly built up a reputation as a caring institution and a centre of educational excellence. A move to nearby Hillingdon House in 1977 and a substantial building programme in recent years allowed for gradual expansion of the school to its present size of 360 boys and girls aged 2 1/2 – 16 years old. Today, the Headmaster and Governors remain committed to the continued development of the school to provide the best facilities and opportunities for all pupils.
Our philosophy is based upon a commitment to sound moral principles and a view of education as an all-round preparation for life. Academic work is given strong emphasis and, equally, sound guidance in personal development is seen as an integral part of a good education.
A team of experienced staff teaches a full range of academic subjects and class sizes are kept relatively small, thus ensuring that each pupil has the opportunity to achieve his or her full potential. Staff, pupils and parents value highly the undoubted positive ethos of the school and Saint Nicholas is a school which pupils are happy to attend. All members of staff strive to maintain a well-structured, positive environment in which pupils feel secure and are encouraged to do their best at all times.
The school is a registered charity, managed by the Board of Governors and the Headmaster. The Headmaster is in membership of the Independent Schools Association (ISA)